A barcode is an optical machine-readable representation of data, which shows certain data on certain products. Originally, barcodes represented data in the widths (lines) and the spacings of parallel lines, and may be referred to as linear or 1D (1 dimensional) barcodes or symbologies. They also come in patterns of squares, dots, hexagons and other geometric patterns within images termed 2D (2 dimensional) matrix codes or symbologies. Although 2D systems use symbols other than bars, they are generally referred to as barcodes as well. Barcodes can be read by optical scanners called barcode readers, or scanned from an image by special software.
ADVANTAGES OF BARCODE :
In point-of-sale management, the use of barcodes can provide very detailed up-to-date information on key aspects of the business, enabling decisions to be made much more quickly and with more confidence. For example:
- Fast-selling items can be identified quickly and automatically reordered to meet consumer demand,
- Slow-selling items can be identified, preventing a build-up of unwanted stock,
- The effects of repositioning a given product within a store can be monitored, allowing fast-moving more profitable items to occupy the best space,
- Historical data can be used to predict seasonal fluctuations very accurately.
- Items may be repriced on the shelf to reflect both sale prices and price increases.
- When a manufacturer packs a box with any given item, a Unique Identifying Number (UID) can be assigned to the box.
- A relational database can be created to relate the UID to relevant information about the box; such as order number, items packed, qty packed, final destination, etc.
DISADVANTAGES OF BARCODE :
Source of additional cost -- The only disadvantage is that data is coded in the barcode. This can be an additional cost.However the key to an effective barcode system is to
generate the barcode as cost to the source of the data as possible.
APPLICATIONS OF BARCODE :
Bar Code is essentially used for 100% accurate & speedy data entry.
The major applications are
- Quality control
- Ware housing
- Service industry such as Courier Industry, Hospital and Library Management
- Export Industry